How do I change the default file associations?
Change default programs in Windows
- Select Start > Settings > Apps > Default apps.
- To change the default app, you can do either of the following: Set a default for a file type or link type. In the search bar, enter the file type or link type you want, then select it from the list of results.
How do I change the file extension in the registry?
- Start the registry editor (regedit.exe).
- Navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced registry subkey.
- Double-click HideFileExt and set it to 0 to show known file extensions or 1 to hide them.
- Click OK.
- Close the registry editor.
How do you create a file association?
To set File Associations in Windows 10/8/7 using Control Panel:
- Open Control Panel.
- Click Control Panel Home.
- Select Default Programs.
- Click Set Associations.
- Select a file type in the list and click Change Program.
How do I set file associations in Windows 10?
Windows allows you to change file associations by going into Settings > Apps > Default Apps and selecting at the bottom the option titled “Choose default apps by file type”. This will open a screen that lists all of the configured extensions on the computer and the program associated with them.
How do I set associations in Windows 10?
How do I reset the Default associations in Windows 10?
How to reset all Apps and File Associations to default in Windows 11/10
- Press Win+I to open Windows Settings.
- Go to Apps > Default apps.
- Scroll down to the bottom.
- Click on the Reset button.
- Click the Ok button.
What is set Association?
Image Credit: Image courtesy of Microsoft. Use the Set Associations dialog box in the Control Panel to associate a file’s extension with a specific app so that the file opens automatically in the app you choose.
How do I change file associations in Windows?
Change the file association for an email attachment
- In Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10, choose Start and then type Control Panel.
- Choose Programs > Make a file type always open in a specific program.
- In the Set Associations tool, select the file type you want to change the program for, then choose Change program.
How do I set an association in the default apps in Windows 10?
To create a default program association, click Start and type Default Programs into the search field, and then press Enter. Click Set Your Default Programs. Choose an application from the list of apps, and then select Set this program as default.
How do I check file associations?
How to Check/Reset File Associations in Windows 10
- Open the Settings panel, using Win + I as a keyboard shortcut if you like.
- Select the Apps entry, and choose Default apps on the left sidebar.
- Here, you’ll see the apps you have set as default for common tasks like emailing, listening to music, and more.