How do you help someone who is depressed?
These 10 tips can help you be a source of support for a friend with depression.
- Start a conversation.
- Help them find support.
- Support them in continuing therapy.
- Take care of yourself.
- Learn about depression on your own.
- Offer to help with everyday tasks.
- Extend loose invitations.
- Be patient.
How do you calm down a depressed friend?
How to Cheer Someone Up: 51 Ways to Make a Friend Smile
- Ask Them If They Want Help.
- Simply Be There for Them.
- Take On a Creative Project Together.
- Leave Your Friend a Handwritten Note.
- Swing the Blues Away.
- Go Get Some Ice Cream.
- Do Whatever They Want to Do.
- Volunteer Together.
What advice to give to a friend who is sad?
It’s better to sit and listen to them. To comfort an unhappy friend, it might be better to tell him or her that you would be sad, too, if you were going through what they are. “Tell them ‘I’m here for you’, and reassure them that ‘it’s okay to cry’,” Borschel says.
How do you help a friend who is really struggling?
How to support a friend or family member who’s struggling with their mental health
- DO listen and validate.
- DO ask what they need from you.
- DO offer to help with everyday tasks.
- DO celebrate their wins, including the small ones.
- DO read up on what they’re struggling with.
- DO check in with them regularly.
How do I support someone?
- Listen. Simply giving someone space to talk, and listening to how they’re feeling, can be really helpful in itself.
- Offer reassurance. Seeking help can feel lonely, and sometimes scary.
- Stay calm.
- Be patient.
- Try not to make assumptions.
- Keep social contact.
What can you say to make someone feel better?
What to Say to Someone
- You are more fun than anyone or anything I know, including bubble wrap.
- You are the most perfect you there is.
- You are enough.
- You are one of the strongest people I know.
- You look great today.
- You have the best smile.
- Your outlook on life is amazing.
- You just light up the room.
How do you make someone feel better over text?
16 Therapist-Approved Texts To Help A Friend Feel Better
- “You must be feeling (fill in the blank).”
- “Want to talk more about this on the phone?”
- “Here’s something to make you smile.”
- “How can I best support you?”
- “You can share as much or as little as you want.”
- “Just checking in :)”
- “I know today was tough.
How do you help a friend emotionally?
11 ways to help someone struggling emotionally
- Validate their emotions. Letting someone know that they are not alone and being open to what they want to share is an important step.
- Just show up.
- Be a good listener.
- Keep things confidential.
- Keep the door open.
- Spend time with them.
- Offer praise.
- Offer practical help.
What to say to a friend who is going through hard times?
Ideas to consider include:
- “Thank you for all you do for us, but now is a time to take care of yourself as well.”
- “I’m proud of you.”
- “I hate that you’re going through this, but I know that you’ve got this.”
- “Remember when you were there for me?
- “Here’s how we’re going to take care of your work while you’re away.”