What are examples of gerund phrases?
Gerund phrases can also function as subjects, such as in the sentence “Exercising every day keeps you healthy.” All the words before the verb “keeps” are part of the gerund phrase. More examples include: Reading romance novels is relaxing. Swimming with friends helps me unwind.
What is a gerund phrase?
A gerund is a verbal ending in -ing that is used as a noun. A gerund phrase consists of a gerund plus modifier(s), object(s), and/or complement(s). Gerunds and gerund phrases virtually never require punctuation.
How do you identify a gerund phrase in a sentence?
A gerund phrase will follow these rules, which can help you identify a gerund phrase in a sentence:
- The phrase will always start with a gerund.
- The gerund phrase will either have a modifier, an object or both.
- The entire phrase will function as a noun.
- The phrase will have singular agreement with a verb.
What are the 10 examples of phrases?
- The book was on the table.
- We camped by the brook.
- He knew it was over the rainbow.
- She was lost in the dark of night.
- He was between a rock and a hard place.
- I waited for a while.
- She smelled of strawberries and cream.
- He won the challenge against all odds.
What is gerund and gerund phrase?
A gerund phrase is a phrase consisting of a gerund and any modifiers or objects associated with it. A gerund is a noun made from a verb root plus ing (a present participle). A whole gerund phrase functions in a sentence just like a noun and can act as a subject, an object, or a predicate nominative.
What are the 5 uses of gerunds?
Gerunds can be used after certain verbs including enjoy, fancy, discuss, dislike, finish, mind, suggest, recommend, keep, and avoid.
- After prepositions of place and time. I made dinner before getting home.
- To replace the subject or object of a sentence. Lachlan likes eating coconut oil.
What are 20 phrases examples?
|To find out||To discover||The police found out the thief.|
|To take the lead||To go forward||India should take the lead ….|
|A far cry||Something difficult to achieve||A casteless society has come a far cry.|
|Come to a halt||Come to sudden end||The car came to a halt as the railway gate was closed.|
What are the 25 phrases?
25 Phrases with Example Sentences
- Give someone a hand – Help.
- Sharp – Exactly at a particular time.
- Take it easy – Relax or Slow down and similar meaning.
- Up to the minute – Most recent news/information.
- About to – Intending to.
- According to – As indicated.
- As a matter of fact – In reality.
- As long as – Provided that.