Can plums be stewed?
Wash, de-stone and halve the plums (leave the skin on). Place the sugar, water, orange juice and cinnamon stick into a medium-sized pot over a medium heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves. Add the plums and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the fruit is soft and begins to break down.
How long will stewed plums last?
3 – 4 days
How long do stewed plums last? You can store the stewed plums, covered in the fridge, for 3 – 4 days. They taste great cold right out of the fridge, or you can gently warm them up in the microwave before serving.
How long do stewed plums keep in the fridge?
about two weeks
Simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes, depending on the size of the plums, or until tender. Let cool. Keep the plums in the refrigerator until ready to serve. The stewed plums will keep for about two weeks in the refrigerator.
What can I do with a bunch of plums?
Instead, read on, and learn how you should be using your plums in a variety of delicious and imaginative ways:
- Spiced Plum Custard Cake.
- Brown Sugar Plum Clafoutis.
- Upside Down Plum Cake.
- Plum Cobbler.
- Asian Plum Sauce.
- Plum Jam Recipe.
- Easy Plum Chutney.
- Fresh Plum and Oat Muffins.
How do you stew plums for crumble?
- Place the sugar, 300ml water, cinnamon stick and orange juice in a saucepan and bring to simmer over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved and you have a syrup.
- Add the plums and poach in the syrup for 15-18 minutes until soft and breaking apart, discard the cinnamon stick.
Why do plums taste bitter when cooked?
A free amino group of a protein reacts with a carbon-R group of a sugar, producing something called N-glycosylamine. This is unstable and is basically a downstream product. It breaks down into something called the melanoidins, which can be bitter to taste.
Can you freeze stewed fruit?
Yes, you can freeze stewed apples for up to 6 months and they freeze really well. To freeze stewed apples, cool then portion them into thick freezer bags before placing these bags into the freezer.
How do you thicken stewed plums?
Mix 4 tsp. of cornstarch with one to 2 tsp. of water to make a thick paste. Mix the paste into the fruit mixture.
How do I cook plums NZ?
How to cook plums
- Take 500g of plums. Rinse, cut in half and remove seeds and stalks.
- Place in a saucepan with 1 cup of water, a teaspoon of honey and a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.
- Bring to the boil and reduce heat and place lid on. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve hot or cold with ice-cream or natural yoghurt.
How do you freeze stewed plums?
How do you preserve stewed plums?
Just place the jar in the fridge and eat within a week. Depending on the type of jar you have used (Ball Mason Jars freeze well but I haven’t tried with Agee Jars) you can pop the whole jar in the freezer, or you could transfer the contents of the jar to a freezer proof container and store them in there.
What spice goes with stewed plums?
Poaching the plums enhances their natural sweetness and their beautiful, vibrant colour. Once you discover how easy it is to poach fruit, you will be able to use this technique for peaches, apricots and nectarines. Consider using ginger, cardamom, nutmeg or vanilla to flavour the syrup.