How do you make a bookshelf out of a gutter?
How to make rain gutter bookshelves: the steps
- Figure out what your rain gutter shelf is going to look like.
- Buy your materials.
- Cut your shelves to length.
- If not using end caps, sand down the edges of the gutters so they’re smooth.
- If painting, paint the gutters after you cut them.
- Assemble gutter shelves.
How do I store books in my closet?
The books should be kept upright or horizontal, but never tilted. Keep the shelf full—or use a bookend—so that the books can snuggle against each other without being too crammed. This will make it easier to remove the books from the shelf without breaking spines or pulling covers.
How do you make a bookshelf?
How to Build a Bookshelf in 8 Steps
- Step 1: Cut the Legs, Shelves, and Supports. Photo by Kolin Smith.
- Step 2: Attach the Supports to the Legs.
- Step 3: Assemble the Box.
- Step 4: Level the Bookcase.
- Step 5: Plumb the Bookshelf.
- Step 6: Attach the Kick Board.
- Step 7: Scribe the Trim to Fit.
- Step 8: Apply Nosing to Shelf Faces.
How do you turn a closet into a built in cabinet?
- Removing the Closet Door. Remove the closet door. If necessary, demo the walls surrounding the closet door.
- Cutting Cabinet Wall. Use a reciprocating saw to cut away the drywall and studs.
- Construct Cabinet Base. Layout the cabinet and make a cut list.
- Install the Cabinet. Install the base cabinet.
Is it better to store books in cardboard or plastic boxes?
We recommend storing books in a plastic storage bin or container. This will help to further protect your books from moisture, dust, bugs and vermin.
Is it better to store books upright or flat?
Ideally, stand the books upright in the storage box. Always pack stacks of books with fore edges facing the sides of the box so that if the load shifts, the “spines against spines” configuration guards against damage. Do not lay books flat on top of the upright ones.
How do you build closet shelves?
Subscribe to The Handyman’s Daughter!
- Measure your space.
- Locate the studs.
- Cut the shelves to size.
- Build the shelf brackets.
- Attach the shelf brackets to the closet wall.
- Slide the shelves onto the brackets.
- Load up your new DIY closet shelves!
How to install gutter shelves?
Follow the markings you made on the wall to screw in the gutters or brackets using the wood screws and power drill. After the first screw, double check to make sure everything’s level before drilling in the second screw. Repeat process until all the gutter shelves are up.
What are rain gutter bookshelves used for?
But really you could use rain gutter bookshelves for any collection of narrow books with gorgeous covers you want to display, like art exhibition catalogs (I have a lot of these, myself), cookbooks (ditto), or coffee table books that never managed to make it to the coffee table.
What do you need to make a rain gutters DIY bookshelf?
Apart from the rain gutters, you also need to get a few of the rain gutter hangers, end caps and screws. The hanger and end caps are shown below. DIY Kids Bookshelf Using Rain Gutters!
How do you attach bookshelves to the wall?
Be sure to use hangers at least every 32″ apart and into the studs and they will be attached nice and strong. Over the last few years, we have moved a whole bunch of times and every single time, I have taken the bookshelves off. The bookshelves are screwed into the wall with 1 screw, so it is as simple as patching up that one hole and repainting!